Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Agony and the Ecstasy: Car Edition

Today we finally retrieved our new(to us) car!

We started off the day running against the clock seeing as we were supposed to drop off our rental at 10 AM and had not contacted the Honda guys until 9 AM to see if the car was repaired. There was a transmission issue and they offered to fix it for free if we bought the car. Luckily, the car was ready and we arrived just in time to pick it up. We drove over in two cars to the airport to drop off the rental and it went off without a hitch, surprisingly. With our new chariot Candace and I decided we deserved a nice breakfast, so we headed over to Paia.

Once we were in Paia, we parked in the giant parking lot right inside the entrance to town. Apparently the streets were getting choked with tourists' cars so they built this lot right at the entrance to town for all the visitors to park in. After donating some change to the local homeless(who told me this parking lot was "their living room, man") we headed across the busy street to the Paia Bay Coffee Roasters. I decided to get a fully-loaded bagel with bacon, tomato, lettuce, and cream cheese and Candace opted for the fluffy scrambled egg plate with bread and fresh salsa. The food was delicious, proving my point that you have to be stellar to survive on Maui as a restaurant.

After our breakfast was gone, it was time to drop me off at work. Work went by pretty smoothly, although most of the workers there did not realize I was completely new to the region and assumed I knew what I was doing already. I mean I did know what I was doing, but not the way THEY do it.

Candace had her adventure down at the Baldwin Park Beach getting slammed by the waves, but that wasn't the end of her story. On her way home, one of the tires on the car blew out on her! Luckily she was near to a pull-off spot and got out of the way of traffic. After trying to get the spare out, she called AAA to come help her. Since she was pretty far out of town, she had to wait about two hours for them to show up. Lucky for her, there was an amazing sunset going on and she had a front row seat. Eventually, a tow truck got to her and had to saw off the spare tire's nut with a hacksaw! Apparently it hadn't been used all that often and was stripped. Funny thing about the driver, though: He had lived in Austin for over a decade before coming out to Hawaii. What are the odds, eh?

With a warning to get the tire replaced ASAP, Candace set off to retrieve me from work and we drove back home for the evening. At least she got to see some amazing sights and I have something to do tomorrow on my day off. Costco Tire Center here I come!

(P.S. Candace wanted me to add that the tow truck guy was really nice and made it up to her within twenty minutes of her calling. The real reason she had to wait was for the OTHER tow truck guy who had the hacksaw. My bad.)

No comments:

Post a Comment